Oakboro Oil Company, Inc.
Established in 1937
Main St. & St. Martin Rd.
Oakboro, North Carolina
Oakboro Oil Co., Inc. is a family owned and operated business seeking to provide quality products and services to it's customers. It has been operated by the same family since it was created in 1937.
Oakboro Oil Company was established in 1937 by Giles E. Crowell, Sr. He sold Cities Service petroleum products at the station located at the corner of St. Martin Rd. and Main St. in Oakboro. He also distributed fuel oil and kerosene to area residents and farmers by truck.
Mr. Crowell was also the owner of State Warehouse Company, a pine lumber supplier located on South Main street in Oakboro where the present Oakboro Oil Co., Inc. bulk plant is located. Upon Mr. Crowell's death in 1973, his son-in-law, Edward P. Stewart, assumed the operation of Oakboro Oil Company. When Mr. Stewart died in 1979, his wife, Margaret Crowell Stewart, assumed management of the company. Mrs. Stewart's daughter, Betsy Heath, and son-in-law, David Heath, joined the company in 1979 to help manage the business. Mrs. Stewart retired in 2002. Betsy and David continue to manage the business today.